Greetings from Cameroon!

Greetings from Cameroon!

II Thessalonians 3:1

"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you;"

Monday, May 30, 2011

Bum trip...the long road home

Finally...the last Bum post.  Instead of returning home the way we came, I listened to a rumor that turned out to be false and took a different way home.  The road was terrible, and I am thankful we made it home without another breakdown.  Here are some of the pictures.  The one nice thing about the trip back was seeing new places and beautiful country! I really love the things the Lord allows me to see on these trips.
On top of the Ring Road at 6 am.  I love this signboard at Kimbi town...there are too few of them in Cameroon.  We left Fonfuka Bum with Roger starting the trip at 5:30.  We enjoyed a beautiful sunrise on a perfect traveling day.  The bad thing was no coffee stop...though the roads would have prevented me from enjoying it anyway :) 

On top of a historic bridge marking the beginning of Kimbi Game Reserve.  The reserve and road has largely been abandoned by the government.  Too bad...I have heard that it used to have some interesting animals to see. 
Navigating through the rocks on the so-called road

Beautiful spot in the reserve.
Trying to find the best track through the rocks. 
I had to navigate through a small track with a drop off into rocks on one side and big hole in the other side.  This national road truly needs help :) 

Celebrating the end of Kimbi-game reserve.  The guys are posing as they had to hold up the car several times to keep it from sliding off the elevated and slippery track down into the rock gutters. 
David and Godfred in front of an abandoned hospital.  The place went to ruins after the Lake Nyos disaster in 1984. 

David in front of the signboard pointing towards the infamous Lake Nyos.  He so badly wanted to see it, but it was a bit too far out of the way due to the bad roads.  We branched instead the other way onto a new road for me. 
Stopping to pick mangos for snack on the trip.  Roger is in the top of the tree dropping mangos for the guys to gather.  Roger knows several of the families in this village where the survivors of the Lake Nyos disaster live.  
We didn't see the lake on this trip (I saw it on a previous trip), but we did see the camps that the government set up through this Bum strip for the Nyos survivors. 
Giving children suckers (bon-bons). 

The last time the guys had to walk was up a huge, steep, rocky mountain.  The road got better half-way up, so I stopped and waited about 25 minutes for them to catch up.  The reason they had to do a bit of walking was due to the bad springs the mechanic put in the back suspension.  I got them replaced back to the stronger original ones as soon as we got back.  Thankfully, I had held on to them just in case. 
Almost home...I watched as this tree fell right on the road during a thunderstorm with hail.  I was glad to be on the pavement when this storm hit. 
Home-sweet-home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Mom B. said...

So glad you're home safely, Sam -bet home looks especially good after an action-packed(& long)trip like that. Love all the pics and details - thanks!

Praying for you all-much love,
Mom B.

Sam Sanderlin Family... said...

Thanks, Mom! I am glad no disasters happened in the house while I was away. Abby did a great job taking care of Elias' foot. I almost delayed my trip of even going since he burned it the day before I left. Abby had a lot of help from two single missionary ladies, so I felt tons better. It sure was good seeing my family when I got home!

Adam and Katie said...

My goodness, Sam! With those terrible roads, you need a HUMMER! :)

Sam Sanderlin Family... said...

I'll be glad to use the Hummer if someone gave us one! I'd be grateful for a pick up truck. The guys told me that my car was too nice for these roads, buy I'll take this RAV4 anywhere it will go!