Welcome to the news page for the Sam Sanderlin family. We are serving in the country of Cameroon, West Africa. We are planting churches in the Northwest Region and using aviation to reach out into the remote areas of the Southwest Region where the gospel is little known. Our sending church is Wyldewood Baptist in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Our sending agency, Wings as Eagles Mission Air Service, is a ministry of our home church.
Greetings from Cameroon!
II Thessalonians 3:1
"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you;"
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Cameroonisms
Miscommunication is an often endured phenomena for us as we adjust to language. Yes, people speak English but they are coming from a British/African English perspective with Pidgin English in the mix as well. Yesterday, a French speaking (Francophone) student came by, and I agreed to take him to town as I was just going there myself. We try to communicate in English or Pidgin. We got on the motorcycle and headed together for the 4 minute drive. The frist half is dust and pot holes, and the second half is paved (tarred). I stopped at the shop and he indicated that he was going farther. I told him if he waited I'd take him the rest of the way. Well, he disappeared, and I finished buying my gas bottle for the stove and made some copies for Sunday School. I had just finished tying the heavy bottle to the motorcycle when my friend showed up again. He looked confused and so did I...there was now no room for him as I thought he left. He said he was ready to go back to the neighborhood where we stay, which is not what I was expecting. I said that I'd be back to get him as I had another friend to bring back to town to catch a taxi. A long story short, we never met back up. Who knows what we really heard from each other! I am hoping to start learning French next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment