The presentation was in the historic Fort Street Presbyterian Church in downtown Detroit. A.T. Pierson was pastor there from 1869-1882 when it was the largest church in Detroit. Dr. Pierson was friends with D.L. Moody and George Mueller to name a few. It was Mueller's influence that caused Pierson to change to become a strong and vocal premillenialist and Spurgeon's influence (among other things) that led Pierson as a seasoned preacher to embrace believers baptism and become a Baptist. Pierson led the way for world evangelism by his writing over 50 books, his organizational skills, and preaching that circled the globe. He preached for Spurgeon at the Metropolitan Tabernacle when Spurgeon became sick and soon died. The church called for Pierson to be the next Pastor. You can find out more about A.T. Pierson at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Tappan_Pierson
Welcome to the news page for the Sam Sanderlin family. We are serving in the country of Cameroon, West Africa. We are planting churches in the Northwest Region and using aviation to reach out into the remote areas of the Southwest Region where the gospel is little known. Our sending church is Wyldewood Baptist in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Our sending agency, Wings as Eagles Mission Air Service, is a ministry of our home church.
Greetings from Cameroon!
II Thessalonians 3:1
"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you;"
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Detroit: Handel's Messiah at A.T. Pierson's Fort Street Presb. Church
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
WOW - That building is fantastic. I bet it was awesome to here it. Praying for you. Merry Christmas.
I'm pretty jealous, Missionary Sam. Looks like an incredible evening!
That is a spectacular church, it was selected as the location for one of my friend's wedding.
I love The Messiah and I think that it's the best piece of Classical work - of all time. In no other religious work is Scripture used 100% of the time in such an apt way.
I cannot remember the quote but I heard on the BBC once that Handel, in response to a directive given him by the King's counsellors on which Scripture to use for "The Messiah", said with gusto, "I know the Holy Scriptures and I know which verses to use!".
(I don't know if he was actually converted, but it is sure neat that he "knew the Holy Scriptures", eh?
You all look great. I enjoy seeing your blog!
Blessing to you all.
Beth Fisher
(I meant to say that I cannot remember the quote verbatim, but it was something like that.)
- Beth
Post a Comment