Greetings from Cameroon!

Greetings from Cameroon!

II Thessalonians 3:1

"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you;"

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ethnic Foods

When we think of heading off for Cameroon one day, one of the many adjustments to be made will be that of changing cultures. One of those changes will include food. This morning we participated in a little bit of "Sanderlin" culture for breakfast. All Sanderlins will probably know what that was, but for those of you who don't... We were watching a video that Uncle Warren filmed of Grandad making sawmill gravy so it could be passed down for posterity. Grandad said, "We're havin' sawmill gravy, biscuits, jelly, eggs, bacon, sausage, orange juice, and coffee...and if you don't like any of that then stay away from the Sanderlins" or something like that. (I wonder if I'll have to leave all that behind, or if we can still make that kind of thing where we are going?I'll love the food in Cameroon I'm sure.) I have made everything but sawmill gravy many times in the past, so today I made the sawmill gravy for the first time...thanks Grandad! So that is a little bit of the Sanderlin culture...now I have to go out and split firewood since we are about out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good Sanderlin you are! So proud of you! To be the first one of our generation to make the sawmill gravy! And then to split firewood afterwards! What a man! You are a true Arkansas Sanderlin!

Sam Sanderlin Family... said...

Thanks, Dean! I always wanted to be a real "woodsman!" And choppin' wood on a stomach full of sawmill gravy does wonders!!